*Not up to it

*Think before you take

*For Doris

*The moment

*Token Single Friend

*Angel and Demon

*Unfettered

*Hairspray and Bailing Wire

*...till I return

*Yes, its my world


1. I ask you to do one effing thing
2. Did you?
3. The socks betray him
4. There will be none of that
5. Leave notes in his shirt pocket
6. Trained in the gentle art
7. Put me in coach
8. Our species may, in fact, survive
9.Swarm Swarm
10.During the wooing
11.BUT not private enough
12.The bottomless appetite
13.The first time we forget
14.This is a nice litmus test
15.To get the ball rolling
16.She invited you back to her place for coffee
17.Mary Magdalene or Eva Braun
18.It will only smell and make you queasy


   Thursday, April 28, 2005

its not about the tights

Just finished watching the new Batman Begins trailer. I grew up reading comic books. At 32 I will still pick one up when given the chance. How can stories of people in tights saving the world still capture my attention and imagination?

The big secret; its not about the tights. Granted, the ideas of justice and great powers are what attracted me as a ten year-old. The ideas of flying, kicking ass, shooting beams out of hands and eyes are exciting and perfect for an adolescent mind.

Though I probably did not realize it when I was ten, it was the alter-egos that captured me. The people behind the mask are what drew me in and keep me reading, even today.

At ten I was just starting the bizarre journey towards adolescence. Within the panels of those comics I found people with secret greatness. Nobody knew clumsy Clark was also the celebrated man in blue with a red cape. No one suspected awkward zit-ridden Peter was the arachnid that swung yards above the streets of New York. At ten I dreamt there was secret greatness inside of me too.

Adolescent hofzinser was Clark and Peter and hoped that he might also have some Super and Spider hidden inside of him. (extra points for talking about myself in the 3rd person?)

My 7th grade crush, Jessica, would never fall in love with Clark, Peter or me. She fell for the good-looking cool boys. I was a lot of things at ten, none of which were good-looking or cool. I use to dream of flying in and rescuing her from certain peril. Once I took her to a safe place above the chaos and injustice of the world she would lift off my mask and say, "I love you" as we kissed atop the water tower.

I chuckle now because I really had dreams like that. What did they really mean? I hoped that someone would see past The Mask and find The Me. I hoped that someone would discover that I was more than I first appear. The easy-to-look-over kid was actually a witty, smart, funny and artistic hero if you just dug deep enough... if you just waited till he came out from the phone booth.

So why will I still run to the movies to see these characters brought to life? Why will I still, on occasion, pick up a collection of X-Men comics as I buy the latest Ben Franklin Biography?

For one, the characters in those pages are old friends. I grew up with them and they with me. More importantly, the world has found out my secret alter ego and things have reversed.

Before I was Peter and those that got close saw the Spider. Those that got close got to see my talents, wit and humor. Now people see the Spider first. I parade the confident software executive out for the public. Only a select few get to meet the Peter Parker now. Only the most trusted get to see the shy, artistic, goofy and clumsy kid under the mask.

I know that my future wife, my future Lois Lane, might be drawn to the confident success-object at first but will fall in love with my secret identity. She won't say, "I love you" until she lifts off the mask and sees me. After all was said and done, Lois fell in love with the clumsy socially challenged Clark. My future partner will protect my secret identity from the rest of the world. She will covet, cherish and love the shy insecure kid that is still there, behind the mask.

there are 8 doodles

At 10:39 AM, Blogger You Can't Afford Me said...

i watch cartoon everyday.

i like the justice league cartoon. since i mostly stay on cartoon network, i think that's the only super hero cartoon that's on (that channel).

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger A* said...

Great post! :-)
And I love the Justice League! Woo Hoo...Sandra.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger WordWhiz said...

What an incredibly beautiful, touching and thought-provoking piece of writing. All this is so true and you expressed it in such a unique and interesting way. We all have our different sides we show or hide, depending on who we're with. And we all long to find someone with whom we feel comfortable enough to share all our different selves, knowing they will accept the whole person. Wow! I don't know what else to say. Wow!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I kinda missed out on the whole comics thing, although, I did draw a couple of my own when I was kid. Weird, huh?

Add to that the fact that I've enjoyed every superhero movie that I've seen. Maybe I should start reading them. Perhaps it's too late?

That was a great post, btw.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger void said...

Bravo, well written - superior thoughts.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger hofzinser said...

Wow, thanks to ALL of you!

Steve: I would recomend any of the ULTIMATE series that is out now. Especially the Ultimate Spiderman and Ult X-men.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger No_Newz said...

I'm your future wife? Awwww, how cool is that? Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I like your style, I'll be back.
Lois Lane

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Miss Tasha said...

Secretly I believe all humans feel like that. Wanting a picture perfect setting to fall in love with someone, but in all reality no matter how "cool" or "hott" someone looks on the outside, they are "dorky" and "insecure" inside. Like a used car: looks great from the outside but terrible engine problems. But these are nothing that cannot be fixed or loved. I know I am going off into my own little world now, but I have one very simple point to this: If you are going to love, love them for who they really are; try to mold them into something they arent and you have a huge play-doe mess!

 

Post a Comment

<<-- Home

Google
That's the end... go archiving you blogging FOOL!

 

 


Sketchers I check daily

Sketchers too good to miss Who links here