*Agnostic no more

*What you're feeling are pangs of guilt

*wordsmiths

*Get into orbit

*What a prankster

*Grab your whip and get in line

*Better (than) Sideways you Million Dollar Baby

*Um... Mr. Reaper... can you call back later?

*Friday's with Miss L

*Miss Lookatme on IM


1. I ask you to do one effing thing
2. Did you?
3. The socks betray him
4. There will be none of that
5. Leave notes in his shirt pocket
6. Trained in the gentle art
7. Put me in coach
8. Our species may, in fact, survive
9.Swarm Swarm
10.During the wooing
11.BUT not private enough
12.The bottomless appetite
13.The first time we forget
14.This is a nice litmus test
15.To get the ball rolling
16.She invited you back to her place for coffee
17.Mary Magdalene or Eva Braun
18.It will only smell and make you queasy


   Tuesday, April 12, 2005

...why I don't write

I am a huge John Irving fan. A movie's opening scene, the start of a good joke, the story of how happily married people met... how the story opens means everything. How can you not glue your nose to the binding when a book opens with:

Garp's mother, Jenny Fields, was arrested in Boston in 1942 for wounding a man in a movie theatre. This was shortly after the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor and people were being tolerant of soldiers, because suddenly everyone was a soldier, but Jenny Fields was quite firm in her intolerance of the behavior of men in general and soldiers in particular.
-The World According to Garp

The summer my father bought the bear, none of us was born--we weren't even conceived: not Frank, the oldest; not Franny; the loudest; not me, the next; and not the youngest of us, Lilly and Egg.
-The Hotel New Hampshire

One night when she was four and sleeping in the bottom bunk of her bunk bed, Ruth Cole woke to the sound of lovemaking - it was coming from her parent's bedroom. It was a totally unfamiliar sound to her. Ruth had recently been ill with stomach flue; when she first heard her mother making love, Ruth thought her mother was throwing up.
-Widow for One Year

In the hospital of the orphanage-the boys' division at St. Cloud's, Maine - two nurses were in charge of naming new babies and checking that their little penises were healing from the obligatory circumcision.
-Cider House Rules

and my personal favorite opening to ANY book:

I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice--not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.
-A Prayer for Owen Meany


...and that, my fellow blogheads, is why I have not the courage to start writing even a short story.

there are 2 doodles

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trick is not to write the opener first. Writing out of sequence provides you with the best openers. Most of the time you don't see them coming.
And as soon as I take my own advice...yeah. And then I found $20.
Miss L

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger bornfool said...

I'm a big John Irving fan, too. You listed a couple i haven't read yet. thanks, lejnd

 

Post a Comment

<<-- Home

Google
That's the end... go archiving you blogging FOOL!

 

 


Sketchers I check daily

Sketchers too good to miss Who links here