*I'm not sure.... I just do

*Answer a question nobody asked

*Before my head cleared

*I will sleep

*She invited you back to her place for coffee

*Stealing Internet

*The first things to be bought and sold

*Pile of stuff

*Spiders crawling all over your skin

*Miss Paige, thanks for letting me "sketch you up"!...


1. I ask you to do one effing thing
2. Did you?
3. The socks betray him
4. There will be none of that
5. Leave notes in his shirt pocket
6. Trained in the gentle art
7. Put me in coach
8. Our species may, in fact, survive
9.Swarm Swarm
10.During the wooing
11.BUT not private enough
12.The bottomless appetite
13.The first time we forget
14.This is a nice litmus test
15.To get the ball rolling
16.She invited you back to her place for coffee
17.Mary Magdalene or Eva Braun
18.It will only smell and make you queasy


   Wednesday, August 17, 2005

As geeky as it gets

In case you didn't get the memo...

I am a vocationally successful reasonably good looking guy in his early thirties who... well... has MEGA GEEK hobbies.

I am not sure how (or why), but I've always been social, interactive and never the pocket-protector geek YET the people that share the same hobbies as me... well... they are card-carrying dorks (unlike me, of course!)

In high school I read Sci-Fi, played Dungeon and Dragons and read too many comic books. I managed to get laid... even had girlfriends. My leisure time was spent with acne-sporting virgins who liked to argue whether a +2 Demon Sword is enough to take down a level 45 frost giant if you had the right potions.

So now I am an adult. I make a salary with a healthy number of zeros at the end. I go out, have drinks with the guys, play poker, run and yada yada. I still have geeked hobbies.

City of Heroes

This is a MMG (massive multi player) game where you create a superhero. You design the look and pick your powers and you are dropped into a world where every other hero is a real person. At any given time, thousands of other custom heroes are fighting crime in the same city. You fight crime, investigate clues, join supergroups and team with others.

As you arrest more and more wrong-doers you gain more powers. The game is horribly addictive. You meet other people and immerse yourself in a fully interactive comic book. I spend around 5 hours a week saving the world.

Being true to my geek I made a comic cover for one of my heroes... Johnny Ace!

Warhammer 40k

This is a hobby and a game in the truest sense. You buy models of small futuristic armies. You build them (alla model airplanes or cars) and paint them. The challenge is their size (the average model is only two inches tall) and taking the time in building and painting to express your creativity and make your army unique. Everyone playing buys their models from the same company. You want your army to get the "wow" from your opponent when it hits the table.

Each model has a certain point value attached to it. There are several "races" or different armies and you build your army up to a certain point value. This allows two players with very unique armies to hit the battlefield with evenly matched strength.

The game is fought on a homemade battlefield (think train set like terrain). I have a 4ft by 8ft battlefield I made in my basement complete with modeling grass, trees and a river made of resin (it looks like water). The board is custom designed and made by moi.

A game can take upwards of four hours and is VERY strategic. This hobby taps both my left and right brains. The creative makes the army, the logic brings them to victory.

Yep... as geeky as it gets.

BTW, if you play COH, look me up on Infinity server. My global chat handle is, you guessed it, hofzinser.

G2G and save the world... cheers!

there are 19 doodles

At 10:42 PM, Blogger MooCow said...

Neeerrrrrrrdddddddd...

*sayeth the lvl 26 controller*

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger WordWhiz said...

EEK!!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Mr. Drinker said...

Admitting is the first step my friend...even though I must say you can paint the shit out of those guys...

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

I think you and I may have been seperated at birth!

I was the exact same way in highschool. I had a couple of good friends and we would play either any video game we could, Axis and Allies, Risk, and later Magic: The Gathering. However, I must of had about four or five girlfriends throughout highschool. Oh, and I have about four large comic boxes full (bagged and boarded)!

CoH does not work with Macs does it? If so, I am so beyond there. I used to write my own comics too and always wanted to see them come to life.

God, we are dorks...but cool dorks...with hot women. We are uber dorks!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger WordWhiz said...

Being hot with the women is all that matters, right guys??

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger bornfool said...

Count me as a citizen of Geekdom, too. I played D&D, Magic, and ShadowRun.
We bought the D&D figures and painted them.
I had a girlfriend, though. I swear.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger allison said...

Who knew geeks could be such hotties?

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Serra said...

~Sighs~ I still need a new video card to get my CoH on.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger A* said...

the truth is out.
he's a huge geek.

but he loves it and who the hell am I to judge?

still love ya!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger MooCow said...

Geeks are the new black.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

I thought the new black was asian?

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Grend31 said...

CoH is my crack.

Freedom and Champion are our stompin' grounds.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Kira said...

Yeah, but a lot of you folks are using PAST tense. I'm still a geek, and very proud. My students seem to be amused when I make references to d&d spells or video games or comics. I haven't read comics in a while, but I still run an online roleplaying game forum, play d&d, read fantasy/sci fi/manga, and love certain computer games related to said subjects (balder's gate series, for one).

I played warhammer fantasy a long time ago...like pre-kids. But I never cared much for 40k. I preferred fantasy.

I can still pretend to be a regular human being, and do it quite well, thanks. But I will never cease to be a geek. One of the people on my roleplaying game forum is in her 60's...and I see myself being there one day...haha!

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

I just checked out that Warhammer site. Good god those things get expensive! How much does the average person spend on an army? Which army are you? I think the Witch Hunters look cool as shit. Damn, now I wish I had a lot of money to play that. Plus, I wish I could actually paint. Anyway, nice.

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger hofzinser said...

It is not a cheap hobby, that is for sure.

I currently have several armies (some are works in process:

Space Marine (Black Templar chapter)
Imperial Guard
Necron
Tyranid
Necron
Dark Eldar
Tau

I highly recomend the hobbie. If you are thinking of just starting, get just a box of one of the "troops" (one of the basic units), their codex, the rule book and maybe the book on how to paint miniatures.

Build them, decide on the color scheme and get the paints you need. Take your time and paint your first set of troops. Once they are ready get another box of troops then the models to make your HQ.

To play you only need two troops and an HQ. Once they are made call one of the local geek stores (they have a finder on their site) and find out which night is 40k night and check it out.

Most of the people that play are cool and will play a quick game with you.

Gradually buy more models to expand your army out. Build and paint as you go.

It really is a neat hobby.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Kira said...

Wood Elves are more fun to paint! :)

My ex was excellent at strategy and whooped up on all the locals constantly. The only reason why he ended up with a painted army half the time was that I did it. I never did the figurines very artistically, though. I don't have that talent. I imagine Hof's are gorgeous! If I ever started playing again, I'd ask Alex to paint my figurines. He has a real talent for it.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger hofzinser said...

I have the Warhammer Fantasy rule book but I've never got to making an army.

They just released all new Wood Elves models, btw.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger WendyKat said...

mmmmm coh... i haven't played in a year. sigh.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

Thanks for the advice. I might just have to start.

 

Post a Comment

<<-- Home

Google
That's the end... go archiving you blogging FOOL!

 

 


Sketchers I check daily

Sketchers too good to miss Who links here