*Actually get nothing done

*All coming together

*Get your geek on

*Solid night's sleep

*Terror on the green felt

*Ask

*You (almost) know

*Both cry

*Today

*Ronnie Dio was the lead singer


1. I ask you to do one effing thing
2. Did you?
3. The socks betray him
4. There will be none of that
5. Leave notes in his shirt pocket
6. Trained in the gentle art
7. Put me in coach
8. Our species may, in fact, survive
9.Swarm Swarm
10.During the wooing
11.BUT not private enough
12.The bottomless appetite
13.The first time we forget
14.This is a nice litmus test
15.To get the ball rolling
16.She invited you back to her place for coffee
17.Mary Magdalene or Eva Braun
18.It will only smell and make you queasy


   Thursday, January 12, 2006

Open letter that he will never read

I just finished watching Serenity.

Joss Whedon,

In your introduction to the crowd at the ComiCon several years ago you said, you don't create to make shows that people will like. You make shows that people will love. You also mentioned how amazed you were by the underground surge which led to a cancelled show being made into a movie.

Don't be too surprised. You captured our hearts with your little show.

Star Trek never set well with me. It presented this utopian mega-government that always acted with benevolence. Pikard and Kirk flew around the stars spreading their vision. I always wondered if there was a rebel movement fighting the Federation monster. Were there people that did not want their lives controlled by Big Brother?

You gave us Mal and his crew. I am a brown coat at heart. They were the part of the Trek story that was never told. The Alliance promised a better society and they refused to drink the Kool-Aid.

You gave us characters that we believed. Flawed and heroic, the crew of Serenity became our friends. We know them; believe them.

Mal is an inflexible ass. Zoe is loyal to a fault. Wash is an insecure pain. Inara's nose is far in the air yet she still makes her living on her back. Jayne is a sexist bigot with enough blood for his brain and his pecker - just not at the same time. Kaylee is a whiner. Dr. Simon always looked down on the others. River is a nut-job and Shepard has a past we know is lined in blood and bad things.

It wasn't their gold hearts we loved - it was their flaws. The best part of the movie was getting to hang out with them again.

Pulling off a western set hundreds of years in the future is no small task. You did not make another Futureworld with too much camp and not enough heart. I believed the FireFly 'verse. It is real. You know a little camp goes a long way. Buffy had the perfect balance. FF proved that Buffy was not fluke. You are a master.

We need a sequel. I want to buy a six-pack, dodge some Reavers and come over and hang out on Serenity one more time.

In the days of Star Wars being ruined by the creator and Star Trek's brand-whoring you gave us all something to love. Love it we do.

there are 11 doodles

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Serra said...

My favorite little kick-myself right now is not ordering two copies of this one at Christmastime when I bought one as a gift.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger A* said...

Oh how I heart my little geekster...

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Say it with me: Buf. Fy.
Seasons 1-5 are gold. 6 and 7 have their moments (witness the musical episode, or Anya's return to demonhood).
But trust me on this, Hof. Buffy. Whedon at his friggin best. Untouchable. Shakespearean.
Buffy.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger hofzinser said...

I was a huge Buffy fan. Never got into Angel, though.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Kira said...

I actually enjoyed some of the Star Treks...Deep Space Nine was my favorite because it was so damned involved and dark. Never liked Voyager. Never watched Enterprise. I've not yet dived into FF, but I will. Too many people whose geekiness I respect have adored it!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

Star Trek DS9 was really good and in fact there was a rebel faction fighting the federation to an extent. They were called the Maquee. They mainly were fighting for their freedom from another race, but they still stuck it to the federation a number of times. I agree with you that they brand-whored ST, but DS9 was really the red-headed stepchild of Star Trek and it showed it. There were wars, humans fighting humans, religion, tons of stuff. If you ever want to check it out, I own the entire collection and would be happy to send them your way. That's right, I own every freakin' episode on DVD! I am the geekster king! Come son of Jarel kneel before Zod!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Melina said...

I think I could probably recite Buffy word for word, episode by episode. The best part? My MOM turned me on to it...she's the biggest Buffy fan in the world.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Kira said...

VG, I love you man. That's a wonderful and erudite explanation of why DS9 rocks...thanks!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Dancinfairy said...

I watched Serenity, fell in love and watched Firefly in one sitting. It rocked and I want more! Great post.

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Bathroom Reading said...

Yeah, as I said when I saw it...if you liked the series, you'll like the movie.

I did, and I did.

And I love all the closet Buffy fans. Like Melina, I can recite most of Buffy word for word. Especially the early seasons.

Angel was excellent, and---unlike many series---had a phenomenal ending episode.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

Kira: I love you too.

 

Post a Comment

<<-- Home

Google
That's the end... go archiving you blogging FOOL!

 

 


Sketchers I check daily

Sketchers too good to miss Who links here