*Worthy of inclusion

*Your skin is peach

*Actually hold a real conversation

*My entire life

*You will die

*Yum

*Back to my knees?

*Your protector

*How many doors of possibility

*You can never have it back


1. I ask you to do one effing thing
2. Did you?
3. The socks betray him
4. There will be none of that
5. Leave notes in his shirt pocket
6. Trained in the gentle art
7. Put me in coach
8. Our species may, in fact, survive
9.Swarm Swarm
10.During the wooing
11.BUT not private enough
12.The bottomless appetite
13.The first time we forget
14.This is a nice litmus test
15.To get the ball rolling
16.She invited you back to her place for coffee
17.Mary Magdalene or Eva Braun
18.It will only smell and make you queasy


   Friday, February 24, 2006

Final Nominee List

Here is the final nominee list:

Over the next few posts I will begin to cut this list of 43 down. The first cut will bring us down to 30.

  1. Air (Moon Safari -1998)-cyrus
  2. Alanis Morrisette (jagged little pill-1995)-mo
  3. Alice in Chains (Facelift-1990)-hof
  4. Alicia Keys (Songs In A Minor -2001)-cyrus
  5. Ani Difranco (Ani Difranco 1994)-hof
  6. Beck - (Mellow Gold-1994)-hof
  7. Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five (Self Titled-1995)-vegasgustan
  8. Better Than Ezra (Deluxe-1995)-vegasgustan
  9. Coldplay (Brothers and Sisters-1999)-cherry moon
  10. Daft Punk (Homework -1997)-cyrus
  11. Dave Mathews (Under the table and dreaming 1994)-hof
  12. Dido (No Angel-1999)-dan
  13. Dubtribe Sound System (Bryant Street -1999)-cyrus
  14. Eminem - (Infinite-1996)-hof
  15. Fiona Apple (Tidal-1996)-dan
  16. Foo Fighters (Self Titled-1995)-hof
  17. Fugees (Blunted on reality-1994)-hof
  18. Green Day (kerplunk-1992)-mo
  19. Jack Johnson (Brushfire Fairytales-2001)-vegasgustan
  20. Jay Z (reasonable doubt-1996)-mo
  21. Jeff Buckley (Grace-1994)-dan
  22. Jet (Get Born 2003)-hof
  23. Jimmy Eat World (Static Prevails-1996)-vegasgustan
  24. Kanye West (college dropout-2004)-mo
  25. Mary J Blige (My Life - 1994)-dana
  26. Maximo Park (A Certain Trigger 2004)-nics
  27. Modest Mouse (This Is a Long Drive... 1996)-hof
  28. Nirvanna (Nevermind-1991)-vegasgustan
  29. Pearl Jam (Ten-1991)-hof
  30. Perfect Circle (Mer De Noms 2000)-hof
  31. Queens of the Stone Age (self titled 1998)-melina
  32. Radiohead (Pablo Honey 1993)-hof
  33. Rage Against the Machine (Self Titled-1992)-hof
  34. Sigur Ros (Agaetis Byrjun-2001)-dan
  35. Smashing Pumpkins (Gish-1991)-hof
  36. Snoop Dog - (Doggystyle-1993)-hof
  37. Stone Temple Pilots (Core-1992)-allison
  38. The Black Crowes (Shake Your Money Maker-1990)-allison
  39. The Killers (Hot Fuss 2004)-melina
  40. The White Stripes (Elephant-2003)-cyrus
  41. Tool (Opiate 1992)-hof
  42. Tribe Called Quest (People's Instinctive Travels...-1990)-hof
  43. Weezer (Weezer 'Blue Album'-1994)-vegasgustan

there are 15 doodles

At 1:08 PM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

You even put them in alphabetical order...WOW.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger WordWhiz said...

I'm guessing if I nominate Clay Aiken (Measure of a Man) you'll all spend days...weeks even laughing at me, AGAIN! So I'll try to come up with something more acceptable. Sigh...

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Cherry Moon said...

Ohhh, good luck with that list! That is going to be difficult to get through!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Mr. Drinker said...

Better than Ezra? Green Day? Jimmy Eat World? How many High Schoolers were consulted in forming this list? This is top TEN artists since 1990...I am truly appalled that some of these names even show up on this list especially when leaving out such other talented artists that have actually made an impact on music. Por ejemplo

Tori Amos (Under the Pink - 1994)
Sonic Youth (Dirty - 1992, Goo - 1990, A thousand leaves - 1998)
Butthole Surfers (Independent Worm Saloon - 1993)
The Pixies (Trompe Le Monde - 1991)
Wu Tang Clan (36 Chambers - 1993)
Notorious BIG (Ready to Die - 1994)
Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger - 1991)
The Cure (Wish - 1992)
Sarah mcLachlan (Fumbling Towards Ectasy - 1995)
Neil Young (Harvest Moon - 1992)
Buddy Guy (Damn Right I've got the Blues - 1991)
Faith No More (Angel Dust - 1992)

This list can really go on so much further...but I think I have made my point. To put "Better than Ezra" & "Jimmy Eat World" in the same top ten artist lists such as these, are crimes against musical identities. Like stealing your ATM card and buying EVERY Indigo girl record ever made. Please Hof, by the beard of Zeus, take this into careful condsideration when you narrow this down.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Melina said...

shouldn't you be whittling away now dear sir?

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I will actually agree with Drinker. And I Can't believe I forgot my girl Tori. Well Played, Drinker. Well. Played.
Remonds me of when I was younger and my local newspaper interviewed people as to who they thought were the most influential artists of our time, and Zepplin and Uncle Kraker (who? Exactly.) were both on the list. Sigh.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Cyrus said...

I totally understand Drinker's outrage and I'm a little miffed at myself for neglecting Sarah and Tori (Amos - not Spelling). I certainly would have included Sonic Youth, The Cure and The Pixies had the rules not stated: "The only requirement for consideration the artist's FIRST album had to be released in or after 1990."

I'm just sayin' is all.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

Sarah McLachlan's - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy although a FANTASTIC and insanely great album is NOT her debut album... That would be her album, Touch released in either 88 or 89... (sorry Mr. Drinker.


But I agree.. Alannis Morissette's JLP is a great album. Worthy of mention.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

Mr. Drinker: I will give you Better Than Ezra and Jimmy Eat World as a bit strange, but they were put on in reference to their entire cataloge...NOT THEIR SINGLES...which I agree are very high schoolerish (new word...woot). "The Middle" by J.E.W. is fun, but nothing of merit or deepness. Most of BTE's singles have been bubble gum too, but they are a band that are still around and making good music when a number of the bands from the mid 90s have long since given up. My top ten bands of all time would not include Better Than Ezra and would certainly include The Cure in the top five.

If you have not listened to every last song that have released, you can't fully make an argument.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

And just in case anyone cares.....
Here are some artists that I would have put on the list if not for the rules.

The Cure
The Clash
Violent Femmes
R.E.M.
Ramones

I am sure I would have more, but those names came right out.

Is that any better?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Drinker said...

When making this list in my rage I neglected the rules...figures. I do have more to add though, and I will do so when not so swamped at work.

Dan - How can anyone forget Tori? She is a "talent" and her music and lyrics inspire one to really reach down inside themselves. When I first heard her, I was blown away. Not by just her playing, but her passion.

note:"touch" was released in '89, so my bad.

vegasgustan - didn't mean to explode like that, but, while Better Than Ezra & Jimmy Eat World may put out decent "pop hits", I don't necessarily think that puts them as any type of musical force the past 15 years. To me, KORN has had more of an influence that them musically. Now, while not even being a huge Korn fan, they have a more impressive catalog then them both combined. But again, I don't mean to downplay your submittions. Just my opinion, and I get a little over-excited, especially when it comes to music.

MORE SUBMITTIONS TO COME

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Mr. Drinker said...

I do have at least 2 more I can think of off the top of my head. Artists who have majorily influenced what is coming out today and tomorrow.

Pavement (Slanted & Enchanted - 1992)
My bloody Valentine (Glider - 1990)

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Dan said...

OOOH!!! I know it's a million years after the deadline, but I'd like to point out that, while she only produced one album, and then went batshit Cruise-azy, that one album has had some freaking LEGS, and has endured as simply kickass. Plus, homegirl starred in Sister Act II.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Mr. Drinker said...

As per our conversation...PANTERA has to be considered...

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Mr. Drinker said...

You also CAN'T deny this as well...

The Verve (A Storm in Heaven - 1993)

I know that people might not be familiar with them, but I can tell you that out of almost any band from the 90's they have the most impressive catalog as well as style. NO one is like them, and certainly of the the UK's best artists.

 

Post a Comment

<<-- Home

Google
That's the end... go archiving you blogging FOOL!

 

 


Sketchers I check daily

Sketchers too good to miss Who links here