*How do you measure

*The hacks

*Midgets are funny too

*The collective human experience

*We want

*You

*Of all time

*I then revealed

*Check your ticket

*I give you the gift


1. I ask you to do one effing thing
2. Did you?
3. The socks betray him
4. There will be none of that
5. Leave notes in his shirt pocket
6. Trained in the gentle art
7. Put me in coach
8. Our species may, in fact, survive
9.Swarm Swarm
10.During the wooing
11.BUT not private enough
12.The bottomless appetite
13.The first time we forget
14.This is a nice litmus test
15.To get the ball rolling
16.She invited you back to her place for coffee
17.Mary Magdalene or Eva Braun
18.It will only smell and make you queasy


   Thursday, July 13, 2006

He fights Nazis too

In my post yesterday I asked about masculinity. The comments by some of you really revealed some interesting information. The great Andy mentioned an example of the truly masculine; Indiana Jones.

He jogged my memory with his comment. I took a Men's Studies class in college and we were assigned a paper. We had to write about someone in the public eye that embodied the New Man. A person that was masculine. Not emasculated, not feminized yet not a meat-head caveman.

I got an A and my paper was shared with the class. Who did I think embodied the new Man? You guessed it... Indiana Jones.

He was strong. He was handsome. He was intellectual. He was sexual. He had paternal and protector instincts. He had vulnerability but did not cripple himself by trying to hide it. He showed a soft side and was capable of emotion and sensitivity without compromising his masculinity.

Is this character the ultimate example of modern masculinity? If not, who is? Real or fictional, who embodies what you think of as masculine? If its not Indiana Jones, then tell us... it helps if he fights Nazis too (nothing more masculine than fighting Nazis!)

there are 11 doodles

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Andy said...

When I first saw your page I thought, "OH NO! He is going to completely make fun of me!!!"

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought of Indie!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Melina said...

I think Indiana Jones is a great one...it's funny, when I read the previous post I was think of Han Solo...soooo, maybe Harrison Ford is the embodiment of modern masculinity??

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger hofzinser said...

When I was a kid and all of my friends wanted to run around and "play" star wars... I let them fight over who would be Luke. I was always Han Solo while everyone else wanted to be Luke. As a kid I did not understand much but I knew Han was cool and Luke was a twit.

As an adult I wish I could send a note to my 7yo self.... "Dear Craig, never stop being Han and never become a Luke."

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Kira said...

I would have so done either Han Solo or Indiana Jones.

Oh wait. That wasn't the issue. Never mind ;)

However, I know that Alex told me he always looked at Han Solo way more than Luke. Along that same line, he liked Mad Martigan too (from Willow).

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Melina said...

you know who else I thinking of, Mad Max...

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Han Solo and Indiana Jones were different in my eyes. Close, but Indie didn't have the cockiness that Han Solo displayed quite often.

Incidently, I always wanted to be Luke when we played Star Wars. I loved the light sabre. Funny this topic came up... I actually watched the trilogy over the last couple of weeks. One thing I obviously didn't see as a kid: Luke Skywalker was probably the most annoyingly whiney character in the entire series (with exception to C3PO). Ugh, now I wish I could send a letter to myself: Dear Andy, Luke is a whiney sissy boy. Be Han Solo, he's way cooler!"

And one last comment: As much as I love Star Wars... I forgot how cheesy it really was. After shooting down all the TIE fighters, everyone one cheers... and hugs?! Masculine? Not so much...

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Melina said...

Oh I think Star Wars is masculine...I mean, I better--my fiance has a tattooed sleeve of star wars characters (it sounds nerdier than it actual is, I swear)

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Dragonfly said...

what about Bruce Willis' character in the Die Hard movies?
I can't remember his name (cause it's late and I'm tired... but you know who I mean.. sexy, a fighter, all for a woman.. and he blows shit up!

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger VegasGustan said...

Man, I am trying to think of someone besides Indiana Jones, but I really can't. DF I think has a close second with John McClane though. He really love his family and kicked the hell out of Alan Rickman's Hans Gruber. Man, now I want to watch Die Hard.

Hey, wait a minute, three words for you...

Dalton, James Dalton.

'Nuff said.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger E said...

What about Steve McQueen? The Cincinnati Kid, Bullitt, Papillon... This guy was IT. Smooth, classy, hell on wheels when necessary, but not a meathead.

That's my vote.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger hofzinser said...

I am one of the biggest Han Solo and Indiana fans you will ever meet. I am also a HUGE Steve McQueen fan. Great call, E.

I have to say that Indi takes it being a professor. He had the smarts that we never quite saw with Han or Steve.

 

Post a Comment

<<-- Home

Google
That's the end... go archiving you blogging FOOL!

 

 


Sketchers I check daily

Sketchers too good to miss Who links here